NYC, NJ area kite spots

From beginner to pro, discuss everything from the latest gear, Q&A, to learning new tricks.

NYC, NJ area kite spots

Postby belgokite » Fri May 30, 2003 6:06 pm

I am new to this sport.
I have taken some lessons and can stay upwind when i am lucky.
I have been looking for some good spots in the area, maybe somebody to go kiteboarding with.
belgokite

RE: NYC, NJ area kite spots

Postby njkiter » Sat May 31, 2003 7:23 pm

Sandy Hook is a good spot in Jersey
Some kiters down there
njkiter

RE: NYC, NJ area kite spots

Postby cdurante » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:52 pm

Here are some spots to go kiting. I will rank them in order from the best to the worst.

1. Lakes Bay, Down by Atlantic City. Shallow water, and there is always kiters there to help you out if you need help. Extreme windsurfing is also located there.

2. The Next best sport is Long Beach Island, on the Bay side. There are some spots that have shallow water. Contact island surf and sail, they will tell you the best spots to go around that area. They also have a cool website.

3. Toms river / Seaside Heights. There is a group of kiters that kite off the 14 street pier beach on the bay side on SW winds. For NE winds shelter cove beach on the Toms River side of the bay. It is slight North of the bridge. There is some sallow water depends were you go.

4. Sandy Hook.

I hope this helps.

Good kiting
cdurante

Postby bschmid » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:18 pm

put me on that list of intermediate kiteboarders in nyc (uws) looking for good locations and a good set of folks to kite with.
bschmid

Postby ThePerchik » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:42 pm

ThePerchik

Postby kazumi » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:04 am

Brigantine is an awesome spot for kiting -- just north of Atlantic City, it has miles of wide clean beach and decent surf. Was visiting a friend in 2005 and had consistent wind the whole time.
kazumi

Return to Kiting Discussion