Good and bad combinations of safety equipment

Riding in BC & Alberta, Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, Hawaii, Baja, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, and Idaho.

Postby lieutenantglorp » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:00 pm

Check out the chicken loop assy on the 2012 Cabrinha kite bar. I just received one to incorporate into my RRD bar (I'm not a fan of the Cab pull/pull trim, hence didn't get the whole bar). The QR and the flagging release are right on the chicken loop. No fumbling around under water for the leash release. The leash attachment is only for unhooked and is unaffected by the releases. Chicken loop spins also for easy untwisting of center lines without looping. Only negative is reassembling it on the water is near impossible so don't fire it unless you mean it :)
Attachments
quicklink_002.jpg

quicklink_002.jpg (550.2 KiB) Viewed 712 times
lieutenantglorp

Postby Fredlight » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:51 pm

You pull it if you need to, you don't waste time thinking about convenience.

Plus, it's much easier to re-assemble than most other release systems, on the water or otherwise.
Fredlight

Postby omarnazif » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:47 pm

Personally i prefer safety systems that release to one line instead of two, when engaged. This is due to the fact that there's less pull if the kite is being blown by high wind or waves/current. Much easier to reassemble when you're not fighting that force. Of course if your safety power line breaks and you release it's bye-bye kite.

Also if riding in waves i usually leash in front with a ring that goes on the spreader bar. No sense in having the release behind your back if I'm not unhooking. Not worth the risk of being pulled backwards, unable to locate the leash release quickly while blind.

I had a kite go down in stormy waves once, the kite yarded me while connected, then still continued to yard me on the leash after releasing to safety. I ejected all, swam back, and reassembled. I wasn't skipping on the surface, i was being pulled through the water a couple feet under. Nasty stuff.

Double-bladed hook knives are definitely a good idea. Slack lines in waves is a scary concept.
omarnazif

Postby flynbri » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Years ago it was blowing 25 and I split a helmet from a leash slingshot/fin impact. The whole incident was caused by an irate windsurfer who intentionally cut me off because he was pissed that a kiter was at "his" sunset beach! I watched him do the same thing to another kiter, we called the police for reckless indangerment - ironically the guy's a kiter now.

I stopped using any board leash after that. I found an inflatable life vest sold at diver shops are so thin you can wear them under your wetsuit and mouth inflate them if your out there gettting worked w/o board/kite. :shock:
flynbri

Postby surferdave » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:48 pm

hate to say it but if you feel uncomfortable with out a flotation device you probably should not be out. I think a impact vest is great I wear one but even with one I only go out in stuff I can handle with a massive failure. Glad you came out ok. Agree that if its not rocky no leash needed. Where were you looks like the south bay?
surferdave

Previous

Return to North America - West