Nearest Kiting Spot to Charlottesville, VA

Nearest Kiting Spot to Charlottesville, VA

Postby bigfish81ss » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:08 pm

Hey all,

I'll be moving to Charlottesville this summer and am wondering where the nearest place to kite is. Has anyone kited any of the nearby lakes? If so, which ones, during what season, any regulations, what kite size etc? Thanks!
bigfish81ss

Postby jmcintosh » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:13 pm

I used to sail on some of the Charlottesville area lakes. Always gusty. Lake Anna may be a possibility, but finding launch/land sites without a boat may be challenging. BEST OPTION: If you can stand the 4-4.5 hour drive to the OBX, it would be worth it!
jmcintosh

Postby AmericanRonin » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:51 am

Interior VA can be pretty hard to kite in. As mentioned above, the wind is almost always gusty to the point of not being fun anymore. If you have to kite within the old dominion, I'd recommend getting a lightwind board and keeping an eye on Yorktown or POQ Poquoson. Either of those might produce enough wind for you to enjoy yourself without having to drive to VB or OBX. Otherwise, I agree with the bloke who posted before me, pack your quiver and head to the Banks.
AmericanRonin

Postby jrg » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:00 pm

I lived in Richmond back in the early days of windsurfing. Even with a big floaty board, the wind did not work well. The only real wind was when a storm would roll thru. I finally gave up and bought a ski boat for Lake Anna.

I also recommend just road tripping to the outer banks.
jrg

Postby robgiroux » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:25 am

VB can be very good for a day trip for you. Make sure the wind forecast is solid. Flatish water on the bay side at First Landing Park and ocean riding with possible waves on the ocean front. Check Yahoo group VAKB for wind directions and much more info.

If you have a few days you are still probably better off going to Hatteras.
robgiroux

Postby HappyWind » Wed May 02, 2012 10:25 pm

I lived waterfront on the york river in yorktown and there are certainly days that you can ride there. You need a strong west or NW wind for the york river. March - May and sept - oct. Have the best chance for good conditions there. Monitor the forcast for the yorktown coat gard station bouy, which is the best indicator for wind there. There was a station on the coleman bridge, but the last hurrine toasted that station. Ive also kited the north shore of va beach, but water access isnt easy to find.
I drive to obx every couple of weeks with a couple buddies, one lives in waynesboro and the other in DC. We camp in waves to keep the trips economical all summer and we welcome new friends if you want to join us. 757-715-3307
HappyWind

Postby HappyWind » Wed May 02, 2012 10:30 pm

I lived waterfront on the york river in yorktown and there are certainly days that you can ride there. You need a strong west or NW wind for the york river. March - May and sept - oct. Have the best chance for good conditions there. Monitor the forcast for the yorktown coat gard station bouy, which is the best indicator for wind there. There was a station on the coleman bridge, but the last hurrine toasted that station. Ive also kited the north shore of va beach, but water access isnt easy to find.
I drive to obx every couple of weeks with a couple buddies, one lives in waynesboro and the other in DC. We camp in waves to keep the trips economical all summer and we welcome new friends if you want to join us. 757-715-3307
HappyWind

Return to North America - East & Central