Kite Surfer Dies near Topanga State Beach

Kite Surfer Dies near Topanga State Beach

Postby VKC1 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:22 am

Kite surfer dead after being pulled from Pacific

The Associated Press
Published: Tuesday, Mar. 13, 2012 - 1:33 am

MALIBU, Calif. -- A 28-year-old man who was kite surfing over the Pacific Ocean off Topanga State Beach has died after being pulled unconscious from the water by a lifeguard.

City News Service reports that rescuers were called to the beach south of Malibu at about 7:30 p.m. Monday.

Lt. Robert Wiard of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Malibu/Lost Hills Station says a lifeguard who was watching the man and another kite surfer saw the victim hit the water.

Moments later the victim's rig became airborne, but he stayed down.

Wiard says the lifeguard paddled out and found the man face-down in the water.

The lifeguard brought the victim to shore and performed CPR until Los Angeles County Fire Department paramedics arrived and took the man to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The man's name wasn't immediately released.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/03/13/433263 ... ulled.html

Second Malibu Death: Kite Surfer Dies near Topanga State beach
"A kite surfer has died after being pulled unconscious from the Pacific Ocean off Topanga State Beach at about 7:30 p.m. on Monday, March 12, said Lt. Robert Wiard of the Malibu/Lost Hills Sheriff's Station."
VKC1

Postby NHerbold » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:22 am

S@#T

RIP
NHerbold

Postby wavehucker » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:04 pm

This article says the kiter's name is Dante Torres - Anyone familiar with him, maybe he was traveling and kited Topanga? There was not even too much wind, poor guy. Hope his family is ok.

http://www.dailynews.com/ci_20162319/ki ... ost_viewed
wavehucker

Postby traig » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:49 pm

RIP Dante
According to a very skilled kiter who was kiting a quarter mile west of Topanga at the same time, it was smooth and very good wind for about an hour and a half. Condolences to Dante's family and friends.
traig

Postby tclproductions » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:03 pm

So sorry to hear about that. RIP Dante.
tclproductions

Postby wavehucker » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:16 pm

I was passing Topanga this morning and I spoke to the lifeguard on duty. He said lifeguard-Sam made the rescue but he gave me these details below.

This is truly sad because I know many of us have gone to a new place, beach even country before and been so excited to get in the water... this is an example of knowing before you go. I doubt Dante knew the water was as cold as it was and maybe had no idea what kelp was, or what it is capable of. He looks like an experienced kiter and adventurer from the article link posted below.

- Info from the Topanga guard on duty today:
- Dante Torres traveled here with his family from Dubai and just arrived the day before the accident on Sunday. He's originally from the Philippines
- Dante was wearing a shortie wetsuit, water temp is about 55 °F, but yesterday evening felt really cold. He was found in the kelp.
- Dante was face down in the water "pretty far away" from his kite and board. No sign of head trauma, cuts or bruises.
- No sign of line-tangle on his legs, or any other bar or line entrapment.
-Looks as if he released his kite, the guard couldn't speak about his safety line and couldn't say if it was still rigged.
-He was not breathing and the lifeguard performed CPR with trach, to no success.
- The rescue was deployed from Santa Monica by boat.
-Dante was taken so St. Johns, his father was at the scene.
-Lots more info below

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2012 ... s_kelp.php

-[/list]
Attachments
dante_torres.jpg

dante_torres.jpg (98.7 KiB) Viewed 7696 times
wavehucker

Postby [email protected] » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:23 pm

I also kited at Topanga yesterday and spoke with Dante. I would like to share what I remember from yesterday.

I arrived at Topanga at about 5pm, and spoke with Dante while I pumped up my kite. He had just finished his first session and was taking a break, the water was fairly cold and he only had a shorty. He said that he was from out of town and it was his first time kiting at Topanga. I went out a few minutes before Dante.

My session was maybe an hour and fifteen minutes, and as the wind started to come down I got off the water south of the point in the beach break area. As I walked my kite back up the beach I saw that Dante's kite was on the water about 50 yards off the point and he was trying to relaunch it. There was still another kiter out, but the wind was light at this point. I saw the other kiter checked on him and everything seemed ok, but he was sitting in the kelp and the kite didn't want to relaunch. I self landed my kite back up near the station and looked back out at the water. I saw a surfer started to quickly paddle out, and the lifeguard also drove past me in the truck and began paddling out on the rescue board. At this point I could no longer see Dante above the surface. The surfer and lifeguard searched for Dante in the kelp as more lifeguard trucks and emergency vehicles arrived. It seemed that by the time they found Dante, he had been under water for too long.

I later spoke with the lifeguard, who said that he had followed the lines from the kite back to the bar, but that Dante was no longer connected to the bar, which was covered in a mass of kelp.

The photo posted above is of Dante and his father. My thoughts are with Dante's father and mother and his family and friends in this time of mourning.

Everyone please stay safe out there.
[email protected]

Postby Daleman14 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:43 pm

hi bradfol, I'm Dante's brother, just looking for some enlightenment as I read your post. When you said he's no longer connected to the bar did u mean his board? Sorry I'm no kiter
Daleman14

Postby gregorvass » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:21 pm

This is extremely Sad.
Sincere Condolences to all his family.
Please look out for each other.

Om Ami Deva Hri.
gregorvass

Postby Daleman14 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:08 pm

thank you @gregorvass
Daleman14

Next

Return to North America - West